Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thoughts on Fairness


We have all been told that life isn't always fair. I know this only too well. After a long winter of gray skies, we finally got our first taste of truly warm weather this past couple of weeks. I love the sun shining in the windows. It brightens my soul and outlook as well as warms and motivates my body to function and I am able to accomplish so much more. I have been looking forward to being able to go outdoors and work in the yard, go for walks, enjoy the scenery, etc. Yet I have not been able to go outside my house for 12 days (The only exception was to go to the store for a few minutes and drive about 3 or 4 blocks down the street to visit Jill P. and come back, which I paid dearly for that night!). According to the allergy tests I have had, I am only allergic to dogs, but each year at this time I suffer greatly. I take my meds yet I continue to cough and sneeze, my eyes water, I lose my voice due to an irritated throat, I have headaches and can't sleep. Everything is blooming at once and the air is full of pollen. I am not able to tolerate it. My asthma kicks in. This has become a yearly event. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the beauty of this season and the warmth it brings. Spring continues to bring a feeling of hope and a desire for new experiences and growth. There is no point in dwelling on the misery of the moment when there is so much to look forward to...Summer! I figure that by the end of May I will be able to sit on the back patio and soak in the sun. I will be able to visit the fruit stands, go to the beach, take walks down by the river, go to the park with the grandkids, and give thanks for all the wonderful moments. Life isn't always fair, but it sure is worth whatever price we are asked to pay. The lesson is to have patience, endure, take the opportunities we have when they are there and be grateful. When we are able to remember this then we are able to see more clearly how truly blessed we are.