Saturday, August 1, 2009

A day at the beach with my dear friend

ConneMara and I always have a good time together. Each year we try to make it to the beach. The weather was so warm this last week and each of us have trips planned soon, so we decided it was time to take a day to have fun together and make our yearly trip to the coast.
It was a wonderful day! First we decided to stop by the new house she and her husband bought in Ridgefield so she could show it to me. From there we went up through Longview and across the river and followed the Columbia River to Astoria and then drove south to Seaside to browse a little at the outlets. Then we headed farther south to Cannon Beach. When we arrived there it was lunch time so we went to Dooger's. I have a tradition of getting their Halibut Sandwich....yummy! ConneMara, being from Oklahoma originally, loves her catfish. From lunch we went down to Tolavana and walked on the beach a little then just sat in the sand and talked for 2 hours! ConneMara had never walked in beach sand or seen sea life in natural pools of water until the first time we went to the beach together. She loves the sand and the feel of it. As we talked, she built up sand mounts and I, as I have done since a child, started digging a hole in the sand. It sounds boring and simple...but the conversation and the peacefulness of the sights and sounds of the surf were just what we needed and throughly enjoyed. After leaving the beach we had just enough time to visit some of the shops before they closed and bought a few items. We have developed a tradition I hope we are able to continue in the future. Thanks ConneMara for our friendship and the good times we share.