Wednesday, January 27, 2010

37 Years Ago Today

There are moments in a person's life that they just don't forget. One such moment in my life was seeing my first born for the first time. I had been taken to the recovery room after the delivery due to the medication I was given during the birth. The relatives had all watched my little Jason get cleaned up and had told me how cute he was and that he had a lot of hair. After they had all left the room, the nurse brought Jason in for me to see. I remember sunlight coming through the window. She stood there and assured me that he had all his fingers and toes and started unwrapping the blanket around him for me to witness for myself. I remember I had the biggest smile on my face and suddenly the tears started streaming down my face from joy. I was not use to such emotion. The nurse handed him to me and I was in awe. My 9 lb. 9 ounce baby boy was actually being held on my belly, not in it. I wasn't able to hold him for long before the nurse took him away. I was exhausted and needed rest. As I laid back down and closed my eyes, the image of my baby boy was clear in my head. I realized that my smile was still fixed firmly on my face and the tears were still flowing. That baby boy is now 37 years old and 6'6" tall with a wife and two children of his own.
Happy Birthday, Jason! Your mom is sitting here smiling with tears of emotion as she thinks of you and misses you being close by.