Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti's Impact

My heart is full for the people of Haiti today. As I view the pictures that are coming out of that area my eyes fill with tears and my heart swells with emotion as I try to imagine what the people there must be experiencing. The chaos, death and destruction is beyond anything I am able to comprehend. I count my blessing that I have not had to see such devastation and pray I never will.
My mind goes to the families and their losses...parents losing children, children losing their parents....many not knowing the where-about of their loved ones. Most of the people of that area live below the poverty level...their homes are gone. Clean water is hard to come by... food is hard to come by. Medical care is limited at best as all the hospitals have collapsed. The infra-structure is gone. Those who have survived are at risk for their lives due to lack of supplies and cleanliness.
My prayers are with these people. I am grateful that the church is always prepared to help through the donations of it's members and it's humanitarian efforts. It gives me a greater appreciation for the need to give generously and makes me feel good about the work the Relief Society does in collecting supplies for hygiene kits for people in need. The smallest of donations come together to make a big difference in other people's lives.
Note: I just checked the Church's website and was grateful to learn that all the missionaries serving in this country appear to be accounted for and are safe.