Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Home Storage

This week, George is off on one of his vacation weeks. For a long time I have been wanting to get over to the church dry pack cannery to can some items to extend our long term food storage. Though we have our year's supply, we know than if times get bad enough, we need to be ready to help others, as well as ourselves. The price of food is soaring.... in fact, the things at the cannery are more expensive than they were just 2 weeks ago. The church tries to keep things at the lowest costs possible for the best quality... yet things have gone up from 11% to 49 % for some items. As always, it was a rewarding experience to go work in the cannery. I love helping others get their items canned and to also do our own. I am filled with gratitude than the church provides such a wonderful blessing for it's members. The Lord doesn't ask us to do anything without him also being willing to help us accomplish it. We just need to be willing to do our part. As I watch what is going on in the world and how it is affecting our food supplies and the cost of them, I feel peace knowing that I have been preparing for what may lay ahead. I am grateful that I have learned how to can and take advantage of opportunities to do so...both dry pack and wet pack. I feel like our food storage is something that is more valuable than money in the bank right now. The value will only increase as time goes on as long as we store our food properly and use the food we store. It's been a good productive day!