Monday, May 25, 2009
In Memory
Memorial Day and beautiful weather is a rare combination around here. George and I decided to take advantage and drive over to the cemetery where his mother and my dad are both buried early this morning. It was a perfect time to go. There was no traffic and few people there...(we were there from about 7:30a.m. to 8:00). After putting flowers on the grave sites we spontaneously decided to drive to the coast. It was a beautiful drive through the mountains with the sun casting shadows among the trees and across the highway. It was a wonderful time to reminisce the many times I have traveled over that highway over the years...first with Dad in the drivers seat steering the family to a day of fun....then with George and I together with the kids for overnighters....and with friends... so many good memories. Today we didn't go to have fun...we just drove for the sake of the drive. It seemed more of a day for serenity. We stopped in Cannon Beach to visit the bakery. George had a bismark, I had a lemon danish....yummy. We browsed a little then got back in the Jeep and drove northward through Astoria and back home. I think we were back by 1:30. Later we barbequed hamburgers and just relaxed. It was a nice peaceful day.




