Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I am a Purple Rock


Jeremy & Andrea have been at the coast for the last few days. I was in front of my kitchen sink thinking about them and the girls when my eyes went to the collection of rocks I have on my windowsill above the sink. The collection is mostly rocks that have been given me by Ally. A couple of them by Kaitlyn. It all started with George and I taking Ally to Cannon Beach with us a couple of years ago. We had a fun day. Like most grandparents, we wanted to buy her something to take home. We browsed the many shops. Of all things what caught her eyes was a huge bin of colorful polished rocks. There were little drawstring bags you could fill with these rocks and pay for the bag full. She was so excited to fill the bag with rocks....not just any rocks, they had to be the right rocks for different members of the family. She looked them all over carefully and thought of each family member as she picked each rock. There were special colored rocks for mom and dad, sister, and grandpa & grandma. The big purple rock in the middle is the one she picked out for me. She was so thrilled to share her rocks when she got home. Since that day, my purple rock has been sitting on my window sill gathering friends as Ally continues to collect her family of rocks.