Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Happy Birthday, Nathan!
I can't think of popcorn without thinking about the night I went into labor with Nathan, 36 years ago. The night before Nathan was born, I had a nice big bowl of popcorn, yummy.....I love popcorn. I finished watching a program on TV and decided to go to bed. I had just crawled into bed and got comfortable on my side when I knew....the first labor pain. I laid there for a few minutes and sure enough...it happened again. George hadn't come to bed yet, so I got up to announce that I believed I was going into labor. We managed to get ready and leave for the hospital on a very foggy night. Things weren't too bad on the east side of town, but once we got over to the west side, you could not see anything. We missed the exit to the hospital a couple of times because you could not see the road signs. It was a very intense ride. Once we got to the hospital, not realizing that the front door would be locked at that hour and no one was around, we tried to open it and realized we would have to walk to the emergency door entrance on the side of the building. When in labor, that is easier said than done! Once inside, things went very quickly. Nathan was born at 3:14 in the morning naturally. He was the biggest baby in the nursery...in fact, he was monsterous next to the other babies at 9 lbs. 12 ounces. Shortly after he was born...I regretted eating that popcorn the night before. It took me a while before I could enjoy popcorn again....but not too long.:-). We love you Nathan! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!


