Saturday, March 13, 2010

Walking Down Memory Lane

This past week I received an invitation to my 40th high school reunion. Suddenly I was transferred back in time to a place I never really wanted to be in the first place. My mind filled with faces and names, some good, some not so good. On the form it asked us to fill out a bio sheet for publication in a memory book. One of the questions on it was, 'What is your favorite memory of high school?' It took me but a split second to write, 'Graduation'. You may ask why I don't look back with fond memories. My answer is that I am not one who really cares about doing all the things others do, the latest fads, being in the 'In' crowd or putting myself in the center of things. My comfort level is being low-keyed....One-on-one relationships, the simple things in life. Relating to the many things others were interesting in was difficult. In comparison, I guess I am pretty boring but I am comfortable in who I am. To pay 76.00 per person to attend just doesn't make any sense to me. That would be $152 for both George and I to attend. Money spent on something that brings my family closer together seems more appropriate. I'd rather focus on attending the family reunion which happens to be the day after the school reunion. Uniting family and sharing stories and memories with those who have been there all your life seems a better choice. As the saying goes...friends come and go, but family is forever. Investing time with family just seems to make more sense.