Thursday, June 9, 2011

Looking Back Four Years Ago

Four years ago today, I came home from the hospital after having surgery. I don't know why it suddenly dawned on me this evening.....maybe it was reaching for the Tums bottle in the kitchen cupboard which has become pretty much a nightly occurrence. The story begins as George, Andrea, her girls and I were on our way back from visiting Jason and Melissa in Texas for little Jacob's baby blessing. When going to visit the kids, we usually fly Southwest airlines out of the Houston Hobby Airport. We have been happy with the airline and the airport due to being on time and good service. This time, Andrea and the girls came and had booked on a different airline (US Airways).  Since our fight was full by the time she was able to get her tickets, we decided to switch to her flight going home so we could help with the girls who at that time were 2 and 4 yrs. old. This meant we had to go to the International airport. Well, our plane was late getting in, then once we got on the plane we sat for a while before taxiing out....we ended up sitting out waiting for our flight to take off for well over an hour. It was evening and we were tired. I was experiencing some stomach discomfort, but figured it was because earlier in the afternoon we had gone to the Rain Forest Cafe and had cheesecake....something heavy on the stomach. Our plane finally took off and all seems okay as we flew into Phoenix. We got off the plane and waited for our next flight to take us home. Well, again....the plane was late...we waited, and waited, finally we were able to get in line for our flight....but we continued to wait...I was feeling pretty awful but tried to put on a front for the girls' sake as they were tired and needed some help and comfort...and it was hot! Finally we got on the plane and took off. I was feeling a bit better for about a half hour. I had the girls sitting on either side of me....then suddenly....I felt worse than awful. Andrea just happened to decide to come over and check on the girls...she took one look at me and knew i was in bad shape. She motioned for help.....just it time. She handed me a bag and I used it....several times. Once that was over, I had this horrendous pain in my upper body. I was beyond uncomfortable. I wanted to scream. We still had a good 2 hours of flight left. I was living a nightmare....Thank goodness there were some open seats in the far back of the plane...not that they were any more comfortable, but they were close to the bathroom and I had a bit more room to move....I could even lay across the seats if needed...not that it was comfortable....but it was an option. Naturally, as we began our descent, the good old NW weather made for a very bumpy ride. The flight attendants called ahead for the medics to come on board and wheel me out. I was grateful since I knew there was no way I able to walk out on my own, but terribly embarrassed as they would not allow anyone else off the plane until I could be wheeled out. Of course, they had to wait for me to get out of the bathroom first. People were so kind...as I was being wheeled out....(of course, backward so I had to face everyone as they wheeled me out), the passengers were wishing me well and giving me the thumbs up. I just wanted to go home...but...of course that wasn't going to be. I ended up being taken by ambulance to the hospital. I had several tests and a CAT SCAN. I won't go into the stupidity of the doctor's first diagnose...when all indicators said something else. Or the details of a long boring night as they worried about my blood pressure (I always am very low). Thank goodness I was finally able to go home and see my regular doctor the next day. To shorten the story, I had experienced a gall bladder attack. The gall bladder had to come out. Let me tell you....it was not hard after the pain I experience to know I never wanted to have that again, so out came the gall bladder. All went well and within a week I felt back to normal.
Tonight while remembering that awful night on the plane, I can't help but also feel somewhat foolish for how I usually approach my kitchen cupboard each time I need to reach for the Tums. I think from now on I will be thinking....awwwwww, I can handle this....such a small discomfort compared to what my pain could be.