Wednesday, October 5, 2011

InTribute to a Lovely Lady

Last Friday, my father's step-mother, Evelyn passed away...one month before her 96th birthday. She was a very sweet, serene and attractive woman. Even in her older years she never looked her age. It wasn't because she dolled herself up with make and high style...quite the opposite....she didn't wear makeup and dresses very old fashioned but was well-kempt. She was naturally attractive. My grandfather died 54 years ago. Evelyn never remarried. She out lived my dad, his sister Marion, and the daughter she and my grandfather had together, Virginia...or Ginny as we called her.
When I think of Evelyn, I remember the lovely lady she was in her younger years (middle age). I don't mean just her looks, but she was lovely in her demeanor...very kind, soft spoken and generally pleasant. I never called her grandma, but I heard that when she referred to us kids, she considered us her grandchildren and our children her great-grandchildren.
I had not seen her for a few years. I was hoping I could see once again before she passed on. She had been living in a care facility for a while and it is my understanding that she was frail and her memory had faded. Last week she had a stroke that ultimately was too much for her.
I will always have positive thoughts and feelings for this lovely woman. May she rest in peace.