Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are probably the most under-appreciated holidays we have. People look forward to long week-ends, barbecues, first camping trips of the year, no school, etc. but few truly pay tribute to the fallen soldiers and those who have gone before us. As a child, I remember each Memorial Day going to the various cemeteries where my grandparents and great grandparents are buried as well as my uncles. I grew up knowing where each was buried and seeing my parents put flowers on their graves. My children were blessed to have their grandparents alive while they grew up, so I have to admit that George and I did not keep up the tradition of visiting the sites regularly.George's grandparents are in other parts of the country. After my dad passed on, George and I have tried to make sure we go every Memorial Day morning before the crowds. This year is a bit different unfortunately. Because of the bad weather, we felt it was too dangerous for George to try and walk down the steep hill  in the wet grass and mud to his mother's grave site and will go another day. Nevertheless, we remember our dead parents. My dad served in WW II as a medic. George's mother was the wife of a military man...Army Corp of Engineers. They are both buried in Willamette National Cemetery. They are remembered and in our hearts. (George's dad and my mother are still with us.) We are also very grateful for all the brave men and women who fought for this country so that we who are alive can enjoy the freedoms they fought for.