Friday, April 23, 2010

Painful Lessons

There are some things in life one wished they never had to learn about through experience. The last couple of days I have had a very hard lesson on what it means to suffer with TMJ. I had heard about it before and knew it had to do with the joint in the jaw by the ear and knew of some of the symptoms associated with it, but I had no idea just how wide ranged those symptoms could be and how painful it could be. I have experienced several kinds of pain over the years...severe pain. I have found out through doctors that I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. Well, let's just say this morning I experienced pain that was up there with the worst. For those who know me well and know my history, it was right up there with the gall bladder attack I had a few years ago on the plane, only this time it was in my face. Thank goodness the worst of it only lasted about a half hour, but the pain has been hard to deal with even in it's lesser form. I am grateful that because of past health and physical issues I realize that this too will pass and that there are lessons to be learned from each difficult moment in our lives. If nothing else it makes us more compassionate toward others who suffer and have more gratitude for the good moments in our lives. Tomorrow is another day. I hope whatever lessons are waiting for me, they are less painful. :-)