Monday, May 3, 2010
Acronyms confuse me
I have always had a problem with acronyms. It seems the older I get the more they are used which tends to play mind games with me. Saturday Andrea and I took a CPR-First Aid class for certification. Generally I was doing okay accept for remembering that in an emergency one is suppose to ask someone to get the 'AED'. Well, my mind had a hard time with that because to me, an 'AED' does not register as a heart defibulator. My mind says that I should tell someone to get the defibulator. Until Saturday if someone would have yelled at me to get an AED I would have looked at them in puzzlement and ask them what that was. Saturday, each time I was suppose to practice the routine of what I was suppose to do, I had to make a real effort to remember to tell someone to get the AED. It wasn't because I couldn't remember that I needed to send someone for it, it was that I had to stop and think about the acronym. Anyway, by the end of the day I was feeling more comfortable with it, but I wonder how many people out in the world are like I was before my class and would have the look of 'staring into headlights' if asked to go get an AED. ....By the way, did I mention that Andrea and I are now certified? :-)


