Tuesday, November 16, 2010
The Love of a Child
On Sundays I teach 5-6 year old children. I love the kids I teach. Yes, it can be challenging at times. I have boys that wiggle and don't keep their hands to themselves. I have girls that love to talk...and not always on subject. But there is one thing that unites us all as a class. We care about each other. The children know that I love them and I know they love me. I have some children that save me a seat, insist on sitting next to me or occasionally on my lap. I have some who come each week anxious to tell me an event from the previous week. Their eyes light up when they see me and my heart is delighted to see them. This last Sunday, I was surprised when I was greeted by one of my boys. He handed me a birthday card he had made. On the front was a picture of a birthday cake with candles saying Happy Birthday. On the inside, it said Love, and then his name. This boy had such a sweet smile on his face as he handed me the card. The reason he knew about my birthday was because at the beginning of the month in 'sharing time' in Primary, everyone who has a birthday for the month is asked to stand in front of the group so the others can sing to them...including teachers. This boy,though wiggly and challenging at times, shows time and time again how tender his heart is. He shows concern for those who are hurting, and he was his sister's cheerleader when she gave a talk. When given a scenario in class, he is thoughtful in his responses to how he would react. He and each of the children in my class has taught me and I love each of them for the lessons of patience and unconditional love. At the first of the year, they all will be moving on to the next class. I will miss them terribly. I am sure I will love the new group of children that enter my class, but I know that this particular class I have now will always be extra special in my heart. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he put us all together.


