Friday, November 5, 2010

Self-Indulgence

As I get older and reflect back on my life; and while observing other people's lives, I find that surprisingly, I have learned a few things! I was pondering the things that I wish I would have done differently, or the things that affected me by other people that I wish they would have done differently. In each case the thing that has caused the most sorrow is self-indulgence. It is self-indulgence that tears us away from the happiest we could be experiencing.

Here are few examples that have entered my head:

When we are lazy, we hurt ourselves and others. How much happier we would feel if we engaged in doing what needs to be done and serving others along the ways, keeping peace among those we have contact with. Resentments do not build up if others are not having to pick up the slack.

When we spend money we shouldn't, we carry debt that is like a noose around our necks. That makes whatever was purchased less enjoyable and also keeps us from feeling secure and happy.

When we over eat and lose control of our weight and health, we find ourselves not only feeling sluggish, unhappy, unhealthy and have a hard battle to find our way back, but we lose our self-esteem and confidence, often blaming others for the way we feel....another excuse for our own self-indulgence. I have never heard of anyone having another person tying them down and then standing over them forcing food in their mouths.

Some people spend their time in vain pursuits of body enhancements, have to have the latest styles, hair has to be just so, etc. They make themselves unhappy by never adding up to what they think society expects of them rather than allowing the simplicity of what God has given them to be considered perfection. Yes, we feel better when we take care of ourselves, and we should, but to be obsessed by ourselves and the image in the mirror never brings joy.

To fly off the handle with hurtful words is self-indulgent. When we allow our mouths to utter words before we take time to think about how they will affect others, it is harmful to relationships.

When we tend to think that our needs or desires are more important than of those we say we care about, it leaves those others with doubts of our commitment to the relationship and the love we profess. Suddenly, we find we are being treated differently, and not feeling loved ourselves.

I wish I could say that I have conquered the self-indulgent bug...but I find myself still making excuses at times and depriving myself of some of the happiness that could be. An easy excuse that I find many of us use, is that we have been hurt by someone, so we feel we are entitled to some of our indulgences. In reality, it actually means we need to work harder on losing ourselves in the service of those individuals. When we do, we find that our attitudes and feelings toward them softens and eases our own burdens.

As I sit here typing this...I have to wonder...is this post an indulgence, or a cleansing and a move forward? I have learned many things...but still have questions and things to sort out.
It is up to each of us to purge ourselves of those things that draw happiness away. No one can make you happy; they can bring added happiness and joy into our lives, but our individual happiness is up to us by how we handle what is placed before us.