Thursday, March 24, 2011

Friendship Reunion

Yesterday, as busy as it was, I took the time to attend a reunion of some of the women that I use to be in the same ward with about 30 years ago. Back then, we were all young and raising our children. Now, we are all grandmothers. It was both fun and a little heart wrenching as the different ladies updated us on the progress of their children and grandchildren. We reminisced about different people who are no longer with us, and updated each other on ailments and infirmities as well as new ventures such as a recent remarriage after a death of a husband. Time and maturity has a way of making one see people in a different light. In my younger days I saw them as people who were there as other mothers and friends to converse with. Now, I realize that we were forming lifetime friendships. You could feel the warmth, love and caring.
The reunion was a potluck. You would have though we were all assigned things to bring for a planned meal. We sat down to a beautifully set table at the home of one of the ladies and ate as if it was a holiday meal. Funny....there was no dessert! Awwww....I don't think anyone noticed!  I didn't until just now while typing this.
Anyway, I also realized that it is important to take the time to attend these special gatherings. As we do, we enrich our lives by surrounding ourselves with the encouragement and love of others as we also are able to express our gratitude and love for them. The group is hoping to have a luncheon once a month, rotating homes. Everyone won't be able to make it each month, but for those who are able to attend, it should be a fun time. And just knowing that I have the chance to see each of them every now and then, is satisfying.