Monday, July 19, 2010

A Dried Split Pea In My Shoe

For those who are not aware, I am a Primary teacher. I teach 5 year old children. I love my group of kids and really try to make my class interesting for them. One of the things I really enjoy are object lessons. Yesterday the lesson was on how 'Choosing the Right Can Make One Feel Happy'. The children were given a little split pea and asked to take off one of their shoes and place the split pea in the shoe then put the shoe back on. I then asked them to walk around with the pea in their shoe. Then I asked them how it felt and if they thought it would feel good to have to walk very far like that, or if they thought they might develop a sore and be miserable. After having them take the split pea out of their shoe, I explained to them that the pea was like a wrong action. When we do something wrong we become uncomfortable and unhappy which can leave a sore in our heart. It is important that we correct the wrong we do. When we do, it is like taking the pea out of the shoe and the uncomfortable feeling leaves. We can be happy again. This lesson was a big hit with the kids. After we got done talking about the various scenarios of wrong choices and what can be done to correct them, I asked the kids what they would go home and share with their families about the lesson....Hopefully none of them went home saying the I made them put a split pea in their shoe to make them hurt! :-)