Friday, July 16, 2010

A Summer Evening

It is a rare occasion that I am out in the evening. With George's work schedule, he is in bed by the time most people start eating their dinner and I am usually doing something quietly here in the house. Last night I had the opportunity to get out with Andrea, her friend Arica and her mother and sister-in-law. We went out to dinner at a Mongolian Buffet and then to see 'Letters to Juliet' at the $3.00 theater. What a nice time! Not only did I enjoy the company, the food and the movie, but I also enjoyed the evening light, the soft cool breeze and the quiet peacefulness that sweeps across the landscape as the day fades and people are not moving as fast as during the day. There is something magical about a summer evening that I miss being a part of. Two evenings in a row I have managed to be outside for a brief time. I am going to have to try harder to at least sit out on the patio in the evenings to absorb the sensations the gifts of nature has to offer us if we take the time to appreciate them. I have to remember that it is okay to be outside during the summer. I seem to forget that after protecting myself during the spring months from the pollens that make me miserable. Sunshine and sunsets are great when seen through the windows...they energizes me...but to feel the summer night air awakens and exposes the body and mind to some of the best feelings and thoughts. The door opens to thoughts of sentimentality of my childhood, teen fun, my family....kids playing in the yard, past events and the people I shared them with, possibilities for the future...hopes and dreams. Mmmm....can't wait for this evening so I can sit in the lounge chair on my back patio and take it all in.....IF the sun actually appears before the end of the day. We shall see....:-)