Last night I wrote on my facebook page something that has brought me some surprising responses both on facebook and privately. It made me ponder the impact of words both spoken and not spoken.
My post was : Sometimes it is better to bite your tongue ........mine is well tenderized. It will heal much faster than the harm it could have done.
Though I may have actually thought before opening my mouth in this particular situation, I am also guilty of the opposite....opening my mouth and regretting what comes out. Sometimes people interpret things differently than you meant them. Sometimes it is easy to give advice when it is not wanted, or react in haste. What works for one situation may not work for another.
In conversation with my sister today, she reminded me of something my mom has said many times concerning the times she had to bite her tongue while observing things we did over the years after we left home. Mom said that she would rather be criticized for what she didn't say, than what she did say. Her reasoning came from enduring her own mother who had a habit of stepping in when and where she wasn't wanted. Mom and Dad were good about not giving advice unless asked for...even then...they walked the line....choosing their words carefully.
It is interesting how some jumped to the conclusion that one of my children upset me or something personal happened. Neither was the case. What I wanted to respond to but didn't had to do with someone's personal viewpoint. They are entitled to their view. Knowing this person....nothing I could have said would have changed their mind. I just happen to think they are wayyyyyy off base. :-)
Should I have said that!?!??! :-)


