Sunday, August 1, 2010

Family reunion

Today was the annual family reunion picnic of my paternal grandmother's siblings and their families. These picnics began back in 1945.

During this past year, information was collected by cousin Susan

and put into book form by the wife of another cousin, Jen.
They did a great job and I feel very fortunate to have a copy.

It was a beautiful day for a picnic and many people came who I have not seen in several years.

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

These are Susan and Jen.

This is Susan and her husband Walter.

Susan did a wonderful presentation about the family; connecting the lines of the family tree and sharing information about the individual siblings of the original family as well as their parents and grandparents
Cousins Dory (and her daughter) and Jim, Susan's brother.


Another cousin, Teresa

Teresa's sister Luann and their mother Myrna with Susan in the background.

My little munchkin Kaitlyn.

I didn't know that Kaitlyn and Ally would be coming to the reunion until early this morning. They had been in Idaho and Utah on vacation with their mom and dad. They all decided to drive through the night for over 12 hours and got home about 7:30 this morning. Andrea and Jeremy were too tired to drive anymore and needed rest before facing the new work week so we took the girls with us to the picnic while their mom and dad stayed home and rested up. We enjoyed having them with us. They were so good.

Ally with great-grandma

Mom and I

Susan and I.....say Cheeeeeeese...actually we said something else which explains the silly smiles.

Mom with Susan's mom

Over all it was a very pleasant day. I was happy to see faces that I have not seen for a long time and some I may never see again. There are only 3 of the original cousins left and it is getting harder to get the next generation together.
It is amazing how time goes by....one day I am the granddaughter of one of the original siblings standing by my grandmother's side...today I am a grandmother with grandchildren standing by mine...the 5th generation. There may not be anymore of these gatherings...we shall see. Whether there will be or not, I am grateful to have learned about these people I call family.
Susan.....Thank you! (You know what for.) You are one person I know I will see again...you are not only family, you have become a dear friend. This has been an amazing year of reconnecting and learning. I look forward to what lies ahead!