Thursday, August 12, 2010

More.....Pickles!

Oh my, what did I get myself into?!? First of all, I have a confession to make. My first batch of pickles I made looked good, tasted good, but....I did mess up. I looked at the wrong directions and over processed them so they got a bit soft. Of course this would not do for giving them out to people, so I decided I had to make another small batch. I did and they turned out nice and crunchy and good....but not quite as flavorful as the first batch. I gave those few away. Well, this morning, I made another batch with the help of Ally and Kaitlyn. That batch went home with them. Then tonight...yes, another batch! So in total I have done 52 quarts of pickles! Now who in their right mind makes that many pickles!?!? Peaches, or applesauce, sure....but pickles?!?!! Only someone who was having a lot of fun. Yes, I said fun. We have more pickles than we usually eat in 3-5 years!!! But at least I now know that I have some good ones to give out. I figure the softer ones will be good chopped up for sandwiches and potato salad...not that I usually make that many sandwiches with pickles..and normally only make potato salad about 2 or maybe 3 times a year. But boy....are they ever going to look good on my storage shelve! :-)