First, I will share the sayings then explain why I don't live by them totally anymore.
1. "There are 2 things you don't discuss, Religion and Politics."
2. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
I can see some you smiling and thinking...oh, this should be good!
There was a day when I think most people, including myself, thought these were good things to live by. But look where it has got us. Let's look at the first saying. There was a day when people respected religious values and lived by the Golden Rule. When such things are no longer talked about or taught, we end up with chaos in society. People are lacking direction these days. So many people are looking for something to ground them to make them feel good about themselves and often resort to some really bad things...drugs, alcohol, etc. There are so many people who don't have self-respect or understand their own worth. They cover their bodies with vile tattoos and piercings, let their bodies be used, etc. I believe if we talk about and share religious views we have the possibly of helping those who are lacking faith and hope and a sense of their own value.
As far as politics go...I feel that not talking about politics is partly what got us into the mess we find ourselves in now. People have buried their heads in the sand for too long. When you are afraid to stand up for what you think is right, then you are allowing yourself to be controlled by others....giving up your freedom. There has been too much truth to to the term, 'The Silent Majority'. True, not everyone wants to listen and may not agree with your view point, but it is healthy conversation if it causes people to educate themselves on what is going on. I feel there have been to many followers and not enough participants who actively seek out the truth.
The next one, 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all', I generally do agree with this, but sometimes there are not so nice things out in the world that need to be addressed. I will be the first to admit that I have crossed the line on more than one occasion...let's be honest...many occasions, but I did it with a sincerity of heart of what I thought and felt. Sometimes we have to point out the not so nice things as a warning to others....and sometimes we need to vent... we just need to be careful who we vent to. (Guilty!)
So...you may agree or disagree with me, but this is my take on these particular sayings.
In closing....May I just add: May God bless us individually and as a nation, because we are going to need it! :-)


