Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Noise

For the most part, I am a quiet person and I generally like things to be on the quiet side. This is also reflected in how I conduct my life. I am not flamboyant, a thrill seeker or overly adventurous. Give me  the sound of the surf, a breeze through the trees, a child's sweet giggle, or soft music and I am content. Those soft sweet sounds are happy and peaceful sounds for me. I have been challenged by a husband who has a hearing problem. He is deaf in one ear and doesn't do all  that well with the other ear, either. I don't fault him for him not being able to hear well, that would be unfair. But the consequences of that hearing loss does present some areas of contention. He likes and needs the television turned up about 10 numbers higher than I do. That is beyond my comfort level and blasts me out of the room. In the car, he blares the radio and drives fast (Engine noise)... I prefer a quiet steady ride. I am forced to raise my voice to talk. When he can't hear me and I have to practically yell, then I get accused of actually yelling at him after I have repeated myself at least three times. What is one suppose to do?!?!  His phone, computer, his gadgets...are all turned up high whether there is a need to hear them or not...I guess he needs noise in his life. So, even in the middle of the night I sometimes am awakened by beeps and bells and whistles....of course he can sleep through them....he doesn't hear them! Unfortunately, it doesn't end there......he snores! I am not talking about a rumbling snore...I am talking about the kind of snoring that threatens to raise the roof and throw it into the next county snoring. Thus is the reason I have been up since 1:00am. It is now almost 4:00 and he should be up before long. Today is his day off. I would like some quiet...maybe tomorrow?

Added side note 3 hours later: I forgot to mention that I also wore earplugs to bed last night...
  Conclusion: They are highly over-rated.