Sunday, January 23, 2011
Sleep
I remember the days when I use to be able to sleep for 10 hours straight with no problem. Even after that much sleep I would lay in bed for a while, stretch, and allow my body to wake up. Oh, how I miss those days! It is now rare for me to get a full 5 hours of sleep without waking up at least twice during that time...in fact, that is now considered a good night's sleep. People are forever asking me why I don't take a sleep aid. Well, I will tell you. Every now and then, I give in to pure exhaustion and take something; but I pay a big price. Wednesday night I got very little sleep. I went to bed late because I wasn't feeling very tired. I got about 3 1/2 hours sleep. Thursday I was feeling it, and decided I was tired enough that I was going to take a sleep med that night, which I did. I slept for 10 hours. Sounds good, right? Well, I woke up Friday morning with a headache which I usually do when I take meds., but I also felt dizzy and not able to function. I decided to lay down about 10:30am. The next thing I knew it was 3:30pm......and I was still dizzy and tired. Well, as the evening wore on...I felt better but I also knew I was in for a bad night of no sleep. I never was able to get any sleep that night...not even a mini dozing off. Yesterday I managed to survive okay. I ended up being awake for a full 27 hours before I was able to go to bed and sleep without meds. I went to bed at 7:30 and got up at 4:30 this morning. Again, sounds good, right? Nope! I still feel a bit dizzy and tired. It is probably a good thing that we have church this afternoon so I won't be tempted to take a nap and mess up any possible chance of sleeping tonight. Oh, how I long for the days when I was able to sleep a full night without waking up and enjoy feeling rested the next day.


