Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Our Nativity

This nativity set has been around for about 35 years. I have to confess I almost didn't put it out this year. Why? Because it is so big and hard to store, I was considering giving it away.
After talking about it with Andrea, she convinced me that I should hang on to the tradition of putting it under our Christmas tree each year to remember that the reason for the season is the birth of Christ; and being placed under the tree is a constant reminder that whether or not the presents are plentiful each year, we have been blessed with the greatest gift already and should count our blessings. We have other nativities, but this was the first one. Our kids grew up with this one. The more I thought about it, I also realized that some of my grandchildren have not yet experienced our traditions or are too young to understand them yet.
So, I have had a change of heart. We will keep it. It may be hard to get up in the attic each year, but nothing worth while is easy and takes some sacrifice and effort.
Christ was and is our example. His life was not easy. He gave his all. I think we all need this reminder under our trees and appreciate what we have been blessed with.