Monday, September 27, 2010

After two years and 10 months- Yea!!!!!

Can anybody guess what is going on behind this plastic tarp hanging from the dining room entrance? I am sure anybody who has been to my house in the last 3 years knows and is giving out a sigh thinking, "Well, it's about time!"

This is the way this corner of our dining has looked all this time.
It all started when George hung a small curio cabinet on the wall for me.
He tried to make sure it was secure and 'thought' he had even hit a stud for support. The cabinet hung there for months. Then the day after Thanksgiving 2007 I noticed something on the floor in the dining room. I knew it had not been there the day before and wondered what it was. It looked like a half round of an orange slice. I went to pick it up and found out very quickly it was not. I got down on my knees to examine what I had just touched (which apparently was a type of fungus) and then saw that the wall didn't look right either. I touched the wall and discovered that the wall was soft. I knew then that we had some trouble brewing...the kind that comes from bathroom drainage pipes from the upstairs bathroom. Ewwwww! Luckily that bathroom rarely gets uses. It is mostly used by guests. We had an opened up wall for a while. Finally the hole was filled in with drywall, but...the project didn't get completed. We had a dear home teacher who helped with the tape and mud and intended to help finish the project...but he moved away. George isn't exactly keen on doing finishing work...soooo....the project sat there....waiting...waiting...and waiting. I finally did what I could to camouflage it the best I could...but it still stood out like a sore thumb....for 2 years and 10 months.....But who is counting!?!? I was dreading the thought of another holiday season with that dreadful dining room wall.

George is on vacation this week...and much to my surprise,,,the very first thing he did was roll up his sleeves and get started on the wall! YEA!

He had to sand down the wall first, then texture it.

Finally, some paint!

I have a presentable wall! And it was all done before 12:30 when we left to see
Mya for her birthday. Hmmm...a long wait for a few hours of work. :-)
Anyway..... thanks George! It looks much better!