Monday, September 6, 2010

Good-bye to Summer, Hello Fall

It is Labor Day, the unofficial end to summer. The air has changed, the nights are cooler, the autumn haze has appeared, and leaves are beginning to change color. I love fall, but it seems like summer hasn't filled a full season. It comes late and exits way too early. Yet, fall is wonderful with it's vibrate warm colors, the crispness, and coziness of that 'settled in' feeling after routine sets in once again after the kids go back to school and vacations are done.
Today George got the fall decorations down from the attic. I love putting them out and enjoying them until it is time to replace them with the Christmas things....but somehow, this year, I hesitate as I am not quite ready to accept the end of summer...or so I say now. If I open the bins and see all my treasures....leaves, acorns, pumpkins, scarecrows....yes, they will put a smile on my face. Possibly seeing all those things will help me to embrace the changing of the seasons rather than feel like I have been robbed of warm summer days. Okay, I think I will take a sneak peek into those bins tonight and enjoy what is inevitable...the change of heart.