Friday, September 17, 2010
Personal Views and Commentary.......Oprah.
This morning as I was reading the 'so-called' news here on the computer, I noticed that Oprah is launching her book club once again. People seem to clamor to buy the next book she recommends. I find this disturbing. For pete's sake, can't people figure out which books to read on their own? Why wait for someone to tell you which book they deem is worth reading? Maybe for the same reason some people only wear the latest fashions or have to have the latest toy...because someone else told them they should...after all...you don't want to be left behind the crowd...right? She also has led so many people to different diets and foods to eat...hmmm....if she is suppose to be a walking testimonial of them....well..... just saying! I guess it also turns my stomach because people also listened to her and suddenly the tide changed in the last presidential race when she decided to publicly endorse Obama. (Yep, I said it.) Sounds like the same people who expect the government to 'take care' of them rather than find ways on their own to live their lives and deal with problems. I have to wonder if maybe there are too many people out there that were coddled as children..... Mom laid out their clothes each day...the TV was their entertainment rather that playing and using their imaginations to think, role play and figure out problems. Did they only read a book because they were assigned one in school? Oprah has a huge following. I even have to admit there was a day many years back when I too watched her show...then one season (about 15 year ago), I realized she was projecting her views as gospel truth. I found it disturbing then and I find it disturbing now. Seems the networks took notice, (after all, she was and is a cash cow for them), now they too are playing that game in full force rather than discreetly as once was the day. Can anybody guess the name of the book she is about to endorse? 'Freedom!' by Franzen, an author she turned her nose up at when he didn't endorse all her choices until his book was secured for summer reading by Obama......Go figure! Does anybody else see the irony?


